Update: MCPS is offering “virtual engagement” during the first semester, for all three sports seasons. MPSSAA has announced the cancellation of all sporting contests during the first semester. More COVID-19 information can be found here and on the MCPS Athletics website.
VIRTUAL ENGAGEMENT (1st Semester 2020-2021) Information:
MCPS will be offering “virtual engagement” for sports while learning is remote in the first semester of 2020-2021. Fall, Winter and Spring sports will each have a defined five week virtual engagement season, led by the coaching staff at Blake. More information can be found here.
Fall – September 14th through October 16th (registration is now closed)
Winter – October 26th through December 4th (registration is now open!)
Winter Sports: Basketball, Indoor Track & Field, Poms, Swim & Dive, Wrestling
Spring – December 14th through January 22nd (registration will open prior to the start date)
PLAN FOR IN-PERSON SPORTS (2nd Semester 2020-2021) Information:
MPSSAA has released a plan for a return to in-person sports, including competition seasons for Fall, Winter and Spring sports in the second semester, led by the coaching staff at Blake. Each sports “season” will have a three week preseason followed by five weeks of competition. A return to in-person sports will be determine by state and local health metrics. More information can be found on the MPSSAA website.
MPSSAA Proposed Timeline for second semester in-person sports and competition:
Fall, Winter, Spring Sport competition and championship seasons administered in modified formats.
SEASON 1 – Sport Season Winter
1. December 7, 2020 – January 3, 2021 – Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.
2. January 4, 2021 – February 13, 2021 – Sport Competition Season.
SEASON 2 – Sport Season Fall
1. February 14, 2021 – March 4, 2021 – Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.
2. March 5, 2021 – April 17, 2021 – Sport Competition Season.
SEASON 3 – Sport Season Spring
1. April 17, 2021 – May 6, 2021 – Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.
2. May 7, 2021 – June 19, 2021 – Sport Competition Season.
INFORMATION BELOW IS OUR “NORMAL” INFORMATION FOR ATHLETIC TRYOUTS (IN PRE-COVID):
- Fall sports can begin tryouts on Wednesday, August 12th, 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year. Some sports may not start on this date – see below for sport-specific information, which will be posted as we get closer to the start of the season. *IN-PERSON CANCELLED FOR FALL 2020*
- All winter sports begin tryouts on Saturday, November 14th, 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year. *IN-PERSON CANCELLED FOR WINTER 2020-2021*
- All spring sports begin tryouts on Monday, March 1st, 2021 for the 2020-2021 school year.
Note: Upcoming Fall Sports tryout dates are listed below:
Practice Start Dates
2020 – Wed. August 12
2021 – Wed. August 11
2022 – Wed. August 10
2023 – Wed. August 9
2024 – Wed. August 14
2025 – Wed. August 13
2026 – Wed. August 12
Here is what you need to know:
- Grades – returning HS students must have at least a 2.0 and no more than 1 E on their most recent report card. Incoming 9th grade students and students new to MCPS are automatically academically eligible.
*Note: The MCPS Board of Education voted to waive the academic eligibility standard for the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year due to the circumstances as a result of COVID-19 (More information here).
- Age – you must be under the age of 19 as of the first day of the school year.
- Required Forms: Students must be registered, by a parent, using the MyMCPS Parent Portal. ONLINE REGISTRATION will be available approximately one month prior to the start of each season through the myMCPS Parent Portal. Parents who need login information may contact Jared Fribush, Athletic Director. You will still need an updated PHYSICAL FORM. (Forms are still available for download, but we are strongly encouraging everyone to register online.)
All candidates for Blake Athletics must register online (or complete all required forms) in advance in order to participate on the first day of tryouts. For additional information, please contact the individual coaches or Jared Fribush, Athletic Director. Contact information for coaches can be found on the individual sport pages, linked at the top of the website.
Fall 2020 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Wednesday, August 12, 2020 unless otherwise noted)
Parents of interested students must register online before the start of tryouts. Registration will open online approximately one month before the start of tryouts.
*CANCELLED FOR FALL 2020*
Golf: Contact Golf coach Sam Silverman for information.
Poms: Contact Poms coach Brianna Lopez for information.
Volleyball (Girls): Contact Varsity Coach Yamiah Compton for information. The JV Coach for 2020-2021 is TBA.
Winter 2020-2021 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Saturday, November 14, 2020 unless otherwise noted)
Registration will open approximately one month prior to the start of tryouts.
*CANCELLED FOR WINTER 2020-2021*
Bocce (Corollary): The Bocce Coach is TBA for 2020-2021.
Poms: Contact Poms Coach Brianna Lopez for information.
Swim & Dive: Contact Coach Kaitlin Klumpp for information.
Spring 2021 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Monday, March 1, 2021 unless otherwise noted).
Registration will open approximately one month before the start of tryouts.
Gymnastics (Girls): Contact Coach Victoria White for information.
Lacrosse (Girls): Contact Varsity Coach Lindsey Chamberlain (Varsity) for information. The JV Coach for 2020-2021 is TBA.
Tennis (Boys): Contact Coach Jordan Rowell for information.
Tennis (Boys): Contact Coach Rich Burke for information.
Volleyball (Boys): Contact Coach Dana Mitchell-Barstow for information.
Volleyball (Coed): Contact Coach David Fitzgerald for information.