- Fall sports can begin tryouts on Wednesday, August 14th, 2019 for the 2019-2020 school year. Some sports may not start on this date – see below for sport-specific information.
- All winter sports begin tryouts on Friday, November 15th, 2019 for the 2019-2020 school year.
- All spring sports begin tryouts on Saturday, February 29th, 2020 for the 2019-2020 school year.
Note: Upcoming Fall Sports tryout dates are listed below:
2019 – Wed. August 14
2020 – Wed. August 13
Here is what you need to know:
- Grades – returning HS students must have at least a 2.0 and no more than 1 E on their most recent report card. Incoming 9th grade students and students new to MCPS are automatically academically eligible.
- Age – you must be under the age of 19 as of the first day of the school year.
- Required Forms: Students must be registered, by a parent, using the MyMCPS Parent Portal. ONLINE REGISTRATION will be available approximately one month prior to the start of each season through the myMCPS Parent Portal. Parents who need login information may contact Jared Fribush, Athletic Director. You will still need an updated PHYSICAL FORM. (Forms are still available for download, but we are strongly encouraging everyone to register online.)
All candidates for Blake Athletics must register online (or complete all required forms) in advance in order to participate on the first day of tryouts. For additional information, please contact the individual coaches or Jared Fribush, Athletic Director. Contact information for coaches can be found on the individual sport pages, linked at the top of the website.
Fall 2019 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 unless otherwise noted)
Parents of interested students must register online before the start of tryouts.
Cheerleading: Contact Coaches Victoria White, Sheila Saunders and Bryanna Simpson for more information. Tryouts will be held from 9am-12pm on August 14th and 15th, with a final tryout session at 6pm on August 16th (candidates are expected to attend all three tryout sessions).
Cross Country: Cross Country will meet at the track at 7:15am on Wednesday, 8/14 through Friday, 8/16 for tryouts/practices. Contact Head Coach Petros Welday or Assistant Coach Stephanie Staub for information.
Field Hockey: Field Hockey tryouts will be held from 8:15am-11:15am on August 14th. After the first day, Varsity candidates will tryout from 8:15am-11:15am on August 15th and 16th, while JV candidates will tryout from 4pm-6pm on August 15th and 16th. Candidates are expected to attend all three tryout dates. A tentative August calendar of practices and scrimmages can be found here. Contact Varsity Coach Patrick Howley or JV Coach Wendy DuShane for information.
Football: Equipment handout will be on Tuesday, 8/13 from 9am-1pm. Report time for the first practice is at 7am on Wednesday, 8/14. Parents can expect to pick up their students at 12pm. Contact Varsity Coach DeShawn Anderson or JV Coach Bryon Marshall for additional information.
Golf: Golf will meet at 1pm on Monday, August 19th at Northwest Golf Park. MCPS will release the Golf tryout and practice schedule in mid-July. MCPS assigns tryout and practice times to schools for the season. A complete schedule of tryouts can be found here. Contact Golf coach Sam Silverman for information.
Poms: Contact Poms coach Brianna Lopez for information. Tryouts for Poms will be held on August 14th and 15th from 3:30pm-5:30pm and August 16th from 4:30pm-6:30pm in the C146 Dance Studio at Blake. Candidates should plan to attend all three tryout sessions.
Soccer (Boys): Tryouts for Boys Soccer will be held on August 14th-16th from 9am-12pm. Candidates should expect to attend all three tryout sessions. Contact Varsity Coach Nougais Metellus or JV Coach Aaron Eichelberger for more information.
Soccer (Girls): Girls Soccer will hold tryouts from 9am-12pm on 8/14-8/16. Candidates are expected to attend each tryout session. Contact Varsity Coach Jenna Essenmacher or JV Coach Kristina Valerio for information.
Volleyball (Girls): Tryouts will be held from 2:30pm-5:30pm on August 14th-16th (candidates should attend each session). Contact Varsity Coach Yamiah Compton or JV Coach Casey Dave for more information.
Winter 2019-2020 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Friday, November 15, 2019 unless otherwise noted)
Bocce (Corollary): Contact Coach Phil Barnes for more information.
Poms: Contact Poms coach Brianna Lopez for information. Poms will not hold additional tryouts in the Winter. Students continuing from the Fall season into the winter season must register again online.
Spring 2019 Sports
(Tryouts will start on Saturday, February 29, 2020 unless otherwise noted. Online registration will open approximately one month before tryouts.)
Gymnastics (Girls): Contact Coach Victoria White for information.
Tennis (Boys): Contact Coach Jordan Rowell for more information.
Tennis (Girls): Contact Coach Rich Burke for more information.
Volleyball (Boys): Contact Coach Dana Mitchell-Barstow for information.
Volleyball (Coed): Contact Coach David Fitzgerald for information.